NEW! Update on Flood Issues and FEMA

For the families and households affected by the recent flooding a new and helpful source has come to our attention. You can receive a one time benefit from the Department of Social Services-State of Missouri for assistance with food purchases. Access this service through the following link: One Time Food Assistance

FEMA will open a DRC (Disaster Recovery Center) Tuesday June 13, through Friday June 16 at the Neosho Lampo Center (500 E Spring, Neosho MO). Hours of operation will be 7am to 7pm. The purpose of the DRC is to assist citizens in registering for assistance and to answer questions. Depending on the need the DRC may reopen Tuesdays through Fridays for the remainder of the month.

Monday, June 5, 2017.   Federal Declaration of Major Disaster in Missouri   On Friday, June 2, 2017 the following was received regarding the following: "President Donald Trump today approved Gov. Eric Greitens’ request for a major disaster declaration for a total of 48 Missouri counties."  Read the entire press release by selecting the link provided at the beginning of this paragraph.

The items needed for quick and ready assistance with FEMA is detailed in the following letter from the Newton County Emergency Management Office.  FEMA Requirements for Assistance

The Missouri Housing Development Commission has released disaster relief funds for flood survivors to community action agencies.  These funds are available for rental assistance by contacting the local Community Action Agency:

Economic Security Corporation of the Southwest Area (ESC)
302 South Joplin Ave.
Joplin, MO 64802

Contact:  Tammy Walker                                     Counties served:  Barton, Jasper, McDonald, and Newton
(417) 781-0352 Ext. 216

More Resources to assist in your recovery:

Rehabbing Flooded Houses: A Guide for Builders and Contractors

Mold control resources                                                                                           

Understanding the Effects of Flooding on Trees                                      

Septic Systems: After the Flood                                                                          

Safe Drinking Water in an Emergency                                                             

Shock-Chlorinating Your Well                                                                     
(Procedure for killing disease-causing bacteria in 6-inch diameter water wells)

USDA Service Center office locator                           
(for farm disaster assistance)

For more information regarding flood recovery 

Control moisture in your home to prevent mold growth. Use a disinfectant (one-and-one half cups household bleach in a gallon of water) if needed, and especially if the water damage occurred because of floodwaters or sewage backup.

Public Health News Release!

The State of Missouri is encouraging impacted citizens to call 211 to initiate a disaster intake with the United Way. This will begin the registration process for services and potential funding as they become available.

We have a lot of good people in our community who have stepped up to help, and many more who will be helping.  Unfortunately there are some individuals who may try to take advantage of our situation and because of this we all need to be cautious.  Here are some things you should know: 

  1. The City of Neosho will be providing debris cleanup for flood victims starting on May 8th.   If the City is picking up the debris and hauling it off there will be no charge to residents.   This will continue until completed.
  2. If you hire a contractor it is recommended that you use a contractor who has a license with the City.
  3. If you hire a contractor who is not licensed with the City, that contractor should take the time to get a City License.  We do verify and require contractors to provide proof of insurance (which could offer some protection to residents).

In response to the flooding and current damage conditions a recovery website is currently up and available for volunteers to sign up/register. Please direct volunteer calls to this website. Also, Clothing Donations can be made at 1st Baptist Church during normal church business hours M-F 8- Noon and 1-4:30 pm. 1st Baptist Church phone number is: 417-451-2375.

Due to recent flooding, the conditions of this location, and for public safety, the RV Park will be temporarily closed.  Do not remove or pass the barricades at the entrances to the RV Park as conditions are unsafe and electrical services have not been adequately reviewed at this time.  We appreciate everyone’s help to secure it!
If you have structures that have been impacted by the recent flooding, please visit the following link for information that may affect you!    Building Inspections and Flood Damage
Frequently Asked Questions about the Flood and Flood Recovery
Make sure the area is safe to be in. Watch for sink holes, sharp objects, electrical wires that could be energized, unstable structures and or roadways, wild animals, etc. Once area is considered to be safe secure the residence as safely as possible Contact your insurance carrier or agent and determine if you have insurance for this type of event Document everything, Pictures are the best, A written inventory list is also good to have and may be required by the insurance company
If you remove objects from the home, place them in a safe area, away from ditches and not in the roadway. (If additional flooding was to occur, any items in the path of flood waters could cause blockage to runoff and cause additional back up of the water) Also remember to keep a safe path to the structure in the event first responders need to make access for medical or other emergencies.
A Federal Declaration has not been declared. There is still flooding occurring within the state. In order for a county to be considered for a declaration, that county must met a dollar amount for damage based off a formula using dollar loss and assessed valuation of the county. It could be another week before a declaration is considered and or declared.

Any information from SEMA or FEMA regarding a federal declaration will be formally announced by them and information will be provided at that point that will detail the next step for assistance.

The City will be looking at all options regarding assistance to the citizens. Information from the City will be posted on our City Website and a press release sent out to all media.

Private individuals and or organizations may be in the area to offer assistance. Please make sure they are legitimate organizations. Don’t give out personal information by phone or in person without first checking. There are too many scammers out there trying to take advantage of the situation.

If you have any questions regarding city, state or federal assistance, please contact City Hall at: 417-451-8050 or Fire Station 1 at: 417-451-8021.